O-1 visa from inside the US — is there a real risk of refusal when stamping abroad?

I’ve read that with the O-1 visa it’s better to apply while you’re outside the United States, and that it’s best not to be in the US for six months before approval. If it’s possible to go on an H-1B now — should I do that, or is it better to sort out the O-1 first while staying abroad? It seems odd that an O-1 can be approved from inside the country and then refused when trying to get it stamped abroad upon departure. Also, my ties to my home countries under both citizenships aren’t very strong — does that make the situation even riskier?

Detailed analysis of the topic: O-1 visa: petitioner, agent, agency scheme

I had the option — I decided to apply for an O-1 outside the U.S. and I really regretted it. If you’re currently in the States on some non-immigrant visa, do a change of status from within. Dealing with consulates and getting a visa stamped outside the country is exactly the same huge hassle as if you leave after changing status from inside — the same Admin Processing, 214(b), and the likelihood that you’ll have to wait for months. And travel is a separate story: with an O-1 via CoS you’ll still have to go to a consulate to get the stamp in your passport; without it they won’t let you back in.

6 Likes